About a year ago, I came across the picture below, via Martha Stewart. I had been looking for an idea to brighten up our tiny entry and this seemed like the right move. Of course, it wasn't until I made the wreath in my last post that I was pushed to actually do it.
So this is really a story of taking all the wrong steps before finding something that worked. To begin with, I headed to Ikea for 16 cheap frames then to Home Depot for some wood joiners. I wanted to connect the frames in an effort to limit the amount of holes I put in the wall. When I began, I thought, "This will be easy, a little hammering and presto!". Boy, was I wrong. I connected all of the frames, but when I hung them on the wall they bowed out almost a foot from the wall. So, it was back to Home Depot for a better solution. I remembered seeing some metal straps that I thought would work, so I purchased a few along with some short, fat screws. When I got home, I was further discouraged by the fact that the screws just tore up the cheap particle board that the frames were constructed of, so, again, it was another trip to Home Depot. This time I spoke to a worker to get suggestions, he said to put super glue in the hole before installing the screw. This worked, however, the frames still bowed out from the wall. The main problem was that the back was held tight but the front wasn't. So, at my husband's suggestion, we tore the frames apart and I went back to Home Depot, bought wood glue and clamps. This did not work either because the frames are painted. With the ridiculous amount of time I had already spent on this stupid thing, I didn't want to go and sand down all of the surfaces so that the wood glue would work. I took the issue to the internet, where I discovered Crafter's Pick, The Ultimate. This product is a water based super glue and claims to work on painted surfaces. After hitting two Michael's, I finally got my hands on some. I glued and clamped the frames together and left them for at least a few hours, but when I came back and un-clamped, a few minutes later, much to my dismay, the frames fell apart. Alas, I had to resort to sand paper. But, success was to be mine! The frames now hang proudly in the tiniest of entries and are accessorized with the lovely wreath I made. Oh, I bought the hook at JoAnn's.
Click on a picture below to download the backgrounds for the frames. You will need to cut them down to size.
Hey there! I'm Kristin, aka Kit. Here is just a peek into my crafting mind. I hope you find something to spur your creativity!
Kit's Crafts Shop