Many of the quiet books out there sew two pages, right sides together, then flip them right side out, which is fine, but I personally like the look of the books over at Orange Crafts, which have bias tape around the edges, so that is precisely how I set up these pages. If you prefer the other method, sew the pages with a 1/2" seam allowance and adjust your measurements for the cover, which will be my next post.
The idea for this adorable little page came from my favorite site for quiet book inspiration, Orange Crafts. The blog author, Katarinka, created a quiet book based on Thumbelina that features a little closet with dresses for Thumbelina. I loved the idea and found a way to make it mine. Honestly, I think I had the most fun making this page! (For a mini version of this page, check out this post.)
A few years ago, I started throwing Halloween parties for my husband's family. I had planned on posting last year's party last year, because it was the day after Halloween. As I was planning this year's party I pulled the decorations from last year and decided to rearrange things a bit. Below on the left is last year's party and the right is a new set up for this year's backdrop.
Back in August, I posted a Babushkas page (Russian nesting dolls). Today's post is the boy version of that page. As far as updates go, just like the pages I have been posting recently, the pictures needed a bit of work, but the construction remains the same.
About a month ago, my daughter and I were video chatting with my sister and she showed us a picture of a girl in a froofy strawberry costume that made my daughter squeal. Of course, it had to happen with a few changes so that the dress could also work as a Christmas dress. Originally, I had planned on writing up a tutorial, however, I hit a few bumps in the road and ended up improvising some of the process, so I will do the next best thing. I combined some tutorials to create the ensemble and I will redirect you to those sites. By the way, I'm guessing that this dress doesn't translate well to a strawberry, but, like I mentioned before, I am planning on using the dress for Christmas too. Perhaps adding a strawberry trick or treat bag will help. Plus, she is 3 and just happy to be in a poufy dress....
I found this page on the blog Made by Molly and saw no reason to change it. I created a new pattern which is posted below, but it looks essentially the same. I did, however, create a bug page that works for boys. Stephanie, my neighbor, did the sewing on that and went with snaps as opposed to buttons. If you would rather do snaps, follow the method used on the cupcake page, posted a few weeks ago.
Some of you may remember last spring when I did my first craft show, the Beehive Bazaar. Since then, I haven't done any more because I wanted to see how the first one went before applying for more and by the time that was over, all of the summer show application deadlines had passed. It turned out to be a great thing because I started volunteering for Craft Lake City, which is an incredible non-profit here in Salt Lake City. Anyway, when I saw that applications were open for the Christmas Beehive Bazaar, I got straight to work putting together some great items to sell. Yesterday, I found out that I was accepted to participate in the second week of the show! I am so excited! I have already gotten some things done, now I just have to organize my life.... we will see how that goes!
For the first time in almost two years I did not post on Thursday of last week. I wish I had a good excuse, but the truth is there were other things I wanted to work on. I hope you all can find it in your hearts to forgive me. Anyway, onto today's post, another quiet book update. This is yet another rather simple page. The inspiration came from Orange Crafts. The author created a page with flaps that folded back to reveal a smiling monster. I loved the idea but decided to have a mirror instead of a monster. I had some trouble locating a plastic mirror but alas, one day while looking for something entirely different on the Joann's webpage, I found it. I went that day and picked it up.
Over the summer, Rizzi from ThermoMorph asked me to review their product. I have to say I was quite flattered at the opportunity to weigh in. I did a bit of research to see what other bloggers had to say and to be honest, these little pellets are REALLY cool! Essentially, ThermoMorph is made up of polymorph granules that become moldable in hot water. I experimented a couple times before writing this. Read on to see my findings.
The idea for this page was a bit of a process. Some of the things that I considered for this page include a puzzle page, a photo flip page, a memory page and the list goes on. Ultimately, I wanted to include something architectural in this book (as both my husband and I are in the field), but the problem remained, how I would actually go about this. I didn't want to do velcro or snaps because I had already done that, so, for a while, I was stuck. Then, a couple weeks ago, while visiting my sister, the bright glimmer of hope shined! One of the toys she uses for her daughter at church is a little tin with magnetic letters in it. Now the problem remained of whether to buy pre-made shapes or to design my own. I leaned toward the design side, but wasn't sure how I would turn it into magnets, then again, my sister shared another idea. A friend of hers had printed pictures of their kids onto magnetic paper, which seemed easy enough, but.... well I will get into that during the process part. (The update for this post is just in the pictures).
Hey there! I'm Kristin, aka Kit. Here you will find tutorials, patterns and recipes for all of the many things I love to do and make.